"Let us not make our girls believe from a very young age that their worth is based only on their appearance," the author of the report, former sports minister and current senator Chantal Jouanno, said in an interview with free French daily "20 Minutes" last year.
A Minor Bird
I have wished a bird would fly away,
And not sing by my house all day;
Have clapped my hands at him from the door
When it seemed as if I could bear no more.
The fault must partly have been in me.
The bird was not to blame for his key.
And of course there must be something wrong
In wanting to silence any song.
Life is short, but there is always time enough for courtesy.
Jackson Pollock - Number 1, 1950 (Lavender Mist)
oil on canvas - 1950
1. Kicking off the Holiday Season with the Moscow Ballet and Katie time tonight.
2. Engagement ring re-sized and bands ordered. 74 days!
3. Dawes-When My Time Comes.
4. Exactly one month from today I will be enjoying New Orleans with Andrew. on the list of stops to make: Cafe Du Monde for a beignet, Magazine St. art galleries to pick a piece for the house, and a stop at the St. James Cheese Shop before heading back to Baton Rouge to polish off the King Cake.
5. Pouring a coffee and running out the door to hit the road!
*5. Really the 5th thing on my mind is that my paycheck is coming on Friday. I need some money in the bank!
Fardhosa has been fighting against the genital mutilation of young girls and women in her country, Kenya. She is from the Somali community and has bravely struggled against opposition, threats and exclusion. Recently, she has set up a clinic in Nairobi where women can have the procedure partially reversed, or can find support and counselling for the trauma the operation has caused them. She is a modest and gentle woman and yet has incredible determination and strength.
This morning consisted largely of running last minute rushed errands to prepare for my summer in upstate. Once I got to work this morning I ran across this cartoon from The New Yorker and and had a good laugh over it. Wake up call to me: leave Lynchburg in Lynchburg.
national geographic, 1972 “young lovers in paris” by gordon w. gahan